Happy Monday, and the weird week between Christmas and New Years! I’m so glad you choose to visit with me today. I have another card I made while playing around over the holiday, featuring a new to me product (hello Black Friday sales).
First off, lets get the formal stuff over with. This post features a card made for Altenew’s December Inspiration Blog Challenge. This month is a Year in Review challenge. We get to pick our favorite inspiration challenge from the past year. I picked February (it was a difficult decision, but I had some new ink I wanted to try out).
I have done a really good job of resisting the sewing on paper trend. It’s funny, because before I got into card making, I used to cross stitch. You’d think I’d be all over this. But no, none of the designs have appealed to me before. Then, Altenew released the String Art sets, and I was intrigued. Due to budget restraints, I waited to get the dies. I liked them, but had other priorities. That brings us to the recent sales. I had to get the Rectangle set.
So, to the card. I trimmed down a piece of Gina K Design Soft Stone cardstock. Then. I added two of the String Art Rectangles and ran it through my die cutting machine. Next, I grabbed two Hero Arts Infinity Rectangles and cut out a frame in between the strips of String Art. My plan was to remove the frame once I was done stitching (I didn’t really think this through lol). I used purple tape to keep the die cut piece in place while I stitched. My problem was that I wasn’t very neat with the stitching on the back side of the cardstock. When I went to remove the frame, I realized that the messed up stitches would be visible (I did cut a piece of the frame out, it’s hidden behind the flower).
The rose and leaves are from Altenew’s Build a Flower Rose set. I was very careful to make sure each layer dried before I stamped the next, but I just noticed the humidity is so bad that the center of the flower and the leaves had a blended, watercolor look. These pictures were taken a few days after I made the card… It’s been raining like mad here. Next time I’ll put the card straight into a cellophane bag. It’s not a bad look, but it’s not how the set was designed either.
I stamped the rose using Cosmic Berry, Magenta, Fuchsia, Purple Wine, Puffy Heart and Rose Quarts Altenew ink. The leaves are Emerald, Lagoon, Volcano Lake and Mountain Mist inks (new to me). The small flower clusters were stamped with Industrial Diamond, and colored with a Copic marker. I also added Clear Wink of Stella. The flowers and leaves were added to the card with a tape runner.
The sentiment is from Altenew’s Sentiment Strips, stamped in Jet Black and die cut using a fishtail sentiment die from Concord & 9th. I added the sentiment to the card with foam tape. I used Scor Tape and fun foam to add the card panel to a Neenah card base.
I had fun stitching on this card, even if it didn’t turn out exactly like I planned. I can’t wait to try more designs out.
Thanks for stopping by!