Making Cards · New Products · Techniques

Altenew’s Layered Rose Die & Distress Oxide Inks

Hello and welcome back! I have a quick post to share my first card made using Altenew’s new Layered Rose Die set. I knew when I ordered the set that I wanted to try a watercolor look with them. Totally unrelated but I also wanted to try a new technique I had heard about from Creativation. My failed attempt at that technique led to today’s card, lol.

First, let’s talk about the new technique. We can only talk about it, as I have nothing to show you. This technique involves smooshing Distress Oxide ink on glossy cardstock, and then covering the cardstock with Micro Glaze when you are done. It’s supposed to enhance the layers of Oxide ink and make it look like alcohol ink. (Video here). I just got my new Distress Oxide inks, and I have a ridiculous amount of photo paper so I thought I would try it. Well, photo paper and glossy cardstock are NOT the same thing. The photo paper is not designed to hold that much water…

Since I did have my Oxide inks out, I decided to get out some watercolor paper to smoosh some backgrounds anyway. I really wanted to try out the new colors. I also decided to smoosh some panels to use with die cutting the roses. I used Picked Raspberry, Worn Lipstick and Tattered Rose for the roses, and Cracked Pistachio, Lucy Clover and Bundled Sage for the leaves.

Of course, I didn’t decide to make a blog post out of this card until AFTER I finished it… I do have a few helpful picture though.

I decided to leave the final layer off of the roses. Both my son and I (must have a second opinion lol) liked it better off. The background is Tattered Rose smooshed on watercolor paper. I used MFT’s Brushed Silver cardstock to cut out the frame from Altenew. The sentiment is also Altenew, from Signature Word dies. I die cut it from a pink cardstock, Layered it with 2 white die cuts, covered it with Versamark ink, then heat embossed with Hero Arts’ Pink Prisma powder. I finished the card off with some Raspberry jewels from Lucy’s Cards.

You can see on the leaves that I changed up which color I used for each layer. I wasn’t a big fan of the Bundled Sage outline layers, but I liked it for the middle layer. It probably would have been best as the bottom layer, but I didn’t have any panels left to die cut.

I did take a picture of the card with the outline layer laid over one of the roses, so you could see what it looked like.

You can see more of the variety of color from the Distress Oxide inks on the bottom layers if you leave it off. And, I don’t think if really matches the other layers.

I also saved all of the negative pieces to use on another card.

You can see I already pieces one flower together. I used the outline to help me put it together, but I may pull it out when I use the negative pieces.

These tiny ziplock bags I found at Michael’s are perfect for holding tiny die cut pieces together.

Here are some of the other smooshing panels I made with the new Distress Oxide colors.

Tattered Rose and Hickory Smoke.

Picked Raspberry (old color), Hickory Smoke and a little Tattered Rose. I love how you can layer the same color over itself, drying the layers in between, and get such a variety of colors!

Wilted Violet (old) and Faded Lilac.

I purposely left a lot of white space on these panels, as I already have panels fully covered with ink. I want to use these smooshed areas as focus points.

I did pick up some other colors, but didn’t smoosh them all. I also smooshed some into some Concord and 9th products I will share in another post, once I make them into cards.

Thanks for stopping by!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s